About Dr Rick
Dr Rick Kausman is a medical doctor who is recognised as the Australian pioneer of the person-centred approach to wellbeing and healthy weight management.
Dr Rick is:
- Director of the Butterfly Foundation, 2006-2015
- Lifelong Fellow of the Obesity Prevention and Treatment Society (OPATS), awarded in 2007
- Fellow of the Australian Society for Psychological Medicine, 2003-2015
- Executive Council member of Australian Society for the Study of Overweight (ASSO) from 1993-2002
- Chairperson, Body Image and Health Inc. 2001-2004; having been a committee member since 1992
- Committee member of the Community Advisory Committee on Body Image (Victorian Government initiative), 2006-2010
- Committee member of the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) working party on guidelines for health professionals on 'overweight', 2001-2003
- Lecturer, Deakin University, Dietetics, 2007-2015
- Lecturer, Latrobe University, Dietetics 2014-
- Honarary Lecturer, Monash University, Medicine, 2006-2010
- Australian Medical Association (AMA, Victorian Division) spokesperson on weight management and eating behaviour, 1995-2006
- Consultant to the Jean Hailes Foundation, 2002-2010
- Regularly interviewed by the print media, television and radio
Dr Rick is an inspiring, motivational and entertaining speaker. He regularly speaks at corporate, medical and community group conferences and seminars. Talk and seminar topics include:
- Healthy eating, healthy minds
- If not dieting, then what?
- How to eat chocolate without feeling guilty! A guide for women in the 21st Century
- Protecting our children from eating disorders and promoting healthy eating
- 5 golden guidelines for guilt-free healthy eating
- Balancing health, weight and happiness
'Rick, thank you very much for a stunning presentation on Tuesday. You wowed us all, and the conversations about your material continued during the conference.'
Dr Catherine Hamilton, BP Australasia
'Thank you so much. We now feel informed and empowered. Your humour and content made for a great event'.
Rachel Robertson, Young Presidents Organisation
'I am always fascinated by the individual patient stories you have and the wealth of information you so easily share to a wide range of audiences. Feedback following your session was very positive'.
Sabina Bradfield, Public Relations, The Body Shop.
'Your passion, experience and commitment to the practice of assisting people to live the healthiest lives possible is truly an inspiration to those fortunate enough to hear you speak'.
Dr Zoe McCallum, Consultant Paediatrician, Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne
For more information, feedback, and, to see an excerpt of Dr Rick speaking, click here: Dr Rick 'speaking'.
Dr Rick Kausman is a prize-winning author for his book 'If Not Dieting, Then What?', which won the Australian Food Writers Award for Best Nutrition Writing. 'If Not Dieting, Then What?' is currently in its 8th print run. His second book is entitled 'Calm Eating'. (Both books are published by Allen & Unwin)
In 'If Not Dieting, Then What?', Rick explains how to achieve and maintain a healthy weight without being deprived of food or losing quality of life.
'For anyone who's unhappy about their weight, confused about food and fed up with diets that don't work: finally someone making sense.'
'This book is like a breath of fresh air... it is probably the best approach to the problem of excess weight that I have read.'
Rosemary Stanton, AO, Nutritionist
For more reviews and feedback click here: 'If Not Dieting, Then What?'
In 'Calm Eating', he draws together his own writings, inspirational quotes from some of his clients who are personally dealing with issues of weight management, eating behaviour and body image, and quotes from other writers.
'Calm Eating is fantastic'.
Janet Michelmore, AO, Director, The Jean Hailes Foundation
Peer reviewed journal publications
Dr Rick has also had four papers published in the peer reviewed medical journal, The Australian Family Physician (Two articles in 2000, the third in 2003 and the fourth in 2006).
Over the last 20 years, Dr Rick has had the opportunity of listening to, and working with, thousands of people who have shared their stories with him. He is the principal of the If not dieting Weight Management and Eating Behaviour Clinic, and consults on a daily basis with clients who have difficulties with weight management and eating behaviour, taking a multi-disciplinary approach in his management of clients. Dr Rick works with a team of health professionals including dietitians, psychologists, social workers, nurses, exercise specialists, physiotherapists and chefs, if and when appropriate for the individual person.
Dr Rick is available for consultation on 03 95296099. He consults at 139 High St. Prahran in Melbourne, Australia.