The Get Real Campaign
10 Things You Can Do to Get Real
1. Create a list of all the things you like about who you are - read it and add to it often.
2. Don't let your weight or shape keep you from participating in activities that you enjoy.
3. Become aware of what your body helps you do each day. Remember that it is the instrument of your life, not just an ornament.
4. Think about all of the things you could accomplish with the time and energy you currently waste worrying about your appearance. Try one!
5. Don't exercise to lose weight or to fight your body. Do it to make your body healthy and strong and because it makes you feel good.
6. Remind yourself: Life is too short to waste time hating your body!
7. Consciously choose to avoid making comments about other people or yourself on the basis of body size or appearance.
8. Enjoy your favorite meal without feelings of guilt or anxiety over calories and fat grams.
9. Throw out the diet products in your house (e.g. fat-free cheese, diet pills, the scale).
10. Eat when you are hungry. Rest when you are tired. Surround yourself with people that remind you of your inner strength and beauty. Get Real.
Reprinted with permission from the National Eating Disorders Association. For more information: www.NationalEatingDisorders.org